I’ve been out of cooking habit lately, because…life! haha But I’m back and going to try to at least get my once-a-week post done.
This Meatball Soup is fantastic, and really easy! It makes a wonderful, hearty dinner. Serve with some crusty garlic bread and…mmmmmm….
The original recipe is from barefeetinthekitchen.com but as usual, I did my own little twists on the recipe, making it a little more healthy.
First thing I did was get rid of the breadcrumbs in the meatballs. I hold the meat together with 2 eggs instead of bread. And for the broth, I always use low-sodium. Actually, I used homemade stock this time. And I used no-salt added tomato sauce instead of stewed tomatoes. Though someday I’ll share my recipe for my homemade stewed tomatoes that are a million times more tasty than canned.
So here’s the recipe as I made it. The original recipe is called Italian Herb Meatball Soup, and I pretty much doubled the original recipe because I love having a big ‘ol pot of soup in the fridge that lasts a few days. Less cooking needed on busy days.
Helpful Hint: If you want your soup to last a couple of days longer in the fridge without going bad… While soup is boiling on the stove, add 1/4 tsp baking soda to it. You will not taste it, but it’ll keep just a couple of days longer, bringing a pot of soup (if cooled properly before putting in the fridge) to last a full 7 days in the fridge without going bad
Meatball Ingredients: – Made 10 quart soup pot (actually made about 8 quarts)
- 1 lb ground beef (lean)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. (Just the craft in the green jar is what I use)
- 4 Tblsp finely minced yellow onion
- 2 Tblsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper (We like pepper. This might be too much for some)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or foil (for easier clean up)
- I use my KitchenAid and put all the ingredients in and mix on slow until thoroughly mixed.
- Using a 1″ cookie or ice cream scoop, or a teaspoon, scoop the meat, shape with hands, and space evenly on the cookie sheets until all meat is used up.
- Bake meatballs about 15 min until lightly browned.
While baking, put together soup:
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 cups finely sliced carrots
- 2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 cans no-salt added tomato sauce (I used one sauce, one chopped)
- 1 quart chicken or beef stock (low sodium or homemade)
- 1/4 cup dried basil
- 1/8 cup dried oragano
- (any other Italian seasoning you like – or instead of using each item, a mixed Italian seasoning works very well)
- 2Tblsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 box high protein penne pasta (I use Protein-Plus Barila)
- Throw everything into a large stock pot and bring to a slow boil. Cook until pasta is done. The pasta starch will also turn the soup into a stew-like consistency, making it nice and thick.
- When the noodles are done, add the meatballs and simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of shredded cheese on top.