This recipe comes very close to making a healthier version. My daughter was halfway through her serving before she clued in that they weren’t really potatoes, so that’s pretty good, I think!
This is taken from a recipe posted on Facebook and pulled from http://www.kalynskitchen.com/ – with a few adjustments.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 Tblsp water
- 2 Tblsp garlic powder
- 4 oz. cream cheese (I did not have any cream cheese on hand, and didn’t realize it until I’d started putting things together, so I used 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese instead, run through the blender to make it smooth.)
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until very crisp, fat blotted with paper towel and then crumbled
- 1/2 cup reduced sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Cut out stem and core from cauliflower, and cut into small pieces.
- In the microwave, cook the cauliflower florets in a covered casserole dish with about 2 Tblsp water in the microwave, sprinkled with about 2 Tblsp garlic powder – 15 min on high.
- Drain well and mash with potato masher, leaving some chunks. Mix in cream cheese, sour cream, green onion, Parmesan, and 3/4 of the crumbled bacon.
- Spread evenly in a medium-sized glass casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and reserved bacon. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.