The kiddo ordered something called a Mexican burger off the menu at Denny’s a few years ago, and though I don’t make them often, they are super delicious and just as easy as making a “normal” burger, only instead of a bun, you serve them on soft tortilla wraps – I get the low-carb variety. As a side dish, I made faux Spanish rice – recipe here. Basically it’s a taco with a solid burger instead of crumbled meat – which makes it a little less messy to eat. They’re kind of fun!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 2 Tblsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp (or to taste) cayenne pepper
- – Or you can use a package of taco seasoning (I prefer salt-free Mrs. Dash)
- shredded cheese (I like Sargento’s Mexican blend)
- lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, sour cream, salsa, etc (for toppings)
- Mix the meats and the seasonings well by hand. Form into patties 1/4-1/3 lb each, oblong ovals so they’ll fit down the middle of the tortilla wrap. Set aside a couple of hours to let the seasonings soak in.
- Fry or grill the patties until meat is cooked through.
- Place on warmed tortilla wraps and add your toppings.
- Eat like a taco and enjoy!
If this makes too many patties to eat right away, I individually wrap the raw patties to cook up real fast later.