I keep making these and playing with the filling/casings because they’re fun and we all love them. So far none have been bad. This one was one of the better ones though. For this filling, I stuffed it into three types of peppers: Jalapeno, Anaheim, and Pablano. I’d never worked with pablano, and just did one for hubby. He said it tasted good but there was no heat to it. The kiddo prefers the Anaheim because she doesn’t like hot peppers, and my favorite was the jalapenos.
- 1 pkg pork sausage
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
- Whatever peppers you like.
- 1 pkg bacon
- Cut off the top of the pepper and slice in half lengthwise. Clean out the seeds (unless you like them really hot).
- With a butter knife, spread cream cheese on one half of the pepper. No need to “fill” it. I just wanted enough for the flavor and cooling effect on the jalapeno.
- Press a lump of sausage into the other half, filling up all the corners and creases.
- Press shredded cheddar into the sausage and put the halves back together.
- Wrap a strip of bacon around each pepper (the Anaheim needed 2) securing with toothpicks.
- BBQ on the grill until bacon is crisp. – For the thick bacon I used, it took about 1/2 hour. It needs about that long to make sure the sausage is cooked through. – These can be baked in a hot oven too, though I’ve not tried that.
Sorry, we were all so eager to eat them, I forgot to take an “after” picture!