My husband doesn’t like zucchini. So, of course, what must I do? I must try to feed it to him so he doesn’t know he’s eating it. *grin
Tonight I succeeded, and he loved it! I found a recipe for Cheesy Zucchini on Pinterest, and went from there. That recipe was pretty blah. Shred the zucchini, cook it in a fry pan, add cheddar and melt, and serve. Blah.
We love, love, love cheesy veggies in our house. Usually it’s just broccoli or broccoli & cauliflower. This is a recipe I will definitely make again because we all very much enjoyed it.
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into small bite-size pieces
- 2 “normal” sized zucchinis, shredded (or julienne) remove green skin if you are trying to hide the fact it’s zucchini
- 1/2 red onion chopped fine
- 1 heaping Tblsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup bacon bits (either fresh made or the “real bacon bits”. I use Oscar Meyer)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used colby/jack)
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tblsp fat free sour cream
In a deep fry pan, warm some oil. The original recipe calls for butter, but I used olive oil. Add broccoli and onions and cook until they are just starting to get tender. Then add the zucchini and onion bits. Cover and turn to low and let cook for a while until zucchini is cooked. Add all the cheeses and mix. Cover and let set on low heat until cheese melts. Mix well and drop in the sour cream and stir until creamy. Ready to serve.
My hubby sat and ate all of his bowl without one little complaint. I didn’t ask if he knew what he was eating, but that’s okay, he didn’t know or he would have made a face, no matter how good it tasted!
I also got the coolest new little tool I had to try out that led me to julienne-ing my zucchini. I picked it up at a housewares store called Bouclair in Canada. I’m sure they are sold in lots of places, but it’s nothing I looked into before. I will be using it a lot because it’s so easy! It’s just a peeler with teeth.